Assoc. Prof. Passiri Nisalak, D.D.S. Vice President for Administration and University Council Secretary Mahidol University chaired a press conference on Sept 16, 2010. The Times Higher Education (THE) announced the world university ranking 2010-2011. Two universities from Thailand ranked top 400 World Universities. Mahidol University ranked 306, and Chulalongkorn ranked 341. Five broad categories of indicators include:
- Teaching — the learning environment This category consists of reputation, the number of PhDs awarded by an institution scaled against academic staff, number of undergraduates admitted by an institution scaled against the number of academic staff, institutional income scaled against academic staff numbers, and ratio of PhD to bachelor’s degrees awarded by each institution (30% of the overall score).
- Research — volume, income and reputation Similar to the previous category, the indicators comes from reputational survey, university’s research income, research volume scaled against staff numbers, public research income against an institution’s total research income (30% of overall score).
- Citations — research influence This category is measured by the number of times its published work is cited by academics. Citations reflect the relatively high level of confidence the global academic community has in the research quality (32.5% of overall score).
- Industry income — innovation This category is designed to cover institution’s knowledge-transfer activity. It is a simple figure giving an institution’s research income from industry scaled against the number of academic staff (2.5% of overall score).
- International mix — staff and students This category looks at the diversity on campus, which suggests global competitiveness. The indicator looks at the ratio of international to domestic staff and students (5% of overall score).
This university ranking is the first time that Times Higher Education (THE) collaborated with Thomson Reuters after the Times Higher Education (THE) separated from Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd. (QS) in 2010.
For more Information, please visit:
- Times Higher Education (THE)
- Mahidol University in World
Date : Sep