On July 6, 2017, Mahidol University's Faculty of Pharmacy hosted "Kitasato University - Mahidol University Joint Symposium" under the theme "Applied Biological Sciences for Human Health". Having been hosted at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, the joint symposium jointly organized between Mahidol University (Mahidol University's Faculty of Pharmacy and Faculty of Science) and Kitasato University, Japan. Its opening remarks were addressed by Emeritus Professor Dr. Yoko Takahashi, Kitasato University, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sukumal Chongthammakun, Advisory of Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Suvatna Chulavatnatol, Dean of Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University.
Then, invited speakers from three institutions talked about their presentations as follows:
- Microbial metabolites and infectious diseases by Prof. Dr. Kazuro Shiomi, Kitasato University
- Thailandins A and B, New polyene macrolactone compounds from Actinokineospora bangkokensis strain 44EHWT, possessing antifungal activity by Prof. Dr. Watanalai Panbangred, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
- In vitro anti-Hepatitis C virus activity of Cladogynos orientalis Zipp. ex Span. extract by Asst. Prof. Dr. Krit Thirapanmethee, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University
- Endophytic actinomycetes and the secondary metabolites –Actinoallolide, a new antitrypanosomal macrolide by Dr. Yuki Inahashi, Kitasato University
- Induction of Cholangiocarcinoma Cell Death through Topoisomerase II Inhibition by Halogenated Benzoate Derivatives Derived from Altholactone by Prof. Dr. Patoomratana Tuchinda, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
- Innovation for isolation methods of hitherto-uncultivated microorganisms – Generation of reactive oxygen species from conventional laboratory media by Emeritus Professor Dr. Yoko Takahashi
- Structural analysis of cell-wall peptidoglycan of actinomycetes and the application to the taxonomic study by Dr. Akira Take, Kitasato University
- Oxyresveratrol: structural modification and biological activities by Dr. Nutputsorn Chatsumpun, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University
More than 60 participants attended this international symposium which was held with the aims of creating opportunities for the speakers and participants from the universities to share their knowledge, experiences, research, and recent advances in biological and microbiological science as well as all disciplines of pharmaceutical sciences. This international event also aimed to strengthen a strong relationship between Mahidol University and Kitasato University that would hopefully lead to the benefits of ASEAN pharmacy community and move toward the advancement of our pharmacy profession altogether.